What To Prove When Seeking To Modify Child Custody Agreements.

Family Law, Lawyer in McHenry County

To alter a child custody agreement, the party requesting the change must submit a motion with the court. It is essential to understand that child support amendment rules differ from state to state. In general, to alter child support payments, the parent seeking the modification must demonstrate that a major change in circumstances has occurred since the support order was made.

Parents Who Have Moved

When one or both parents relocate, it is possible to ask the courts for a changed child custody order. The parent may pursue primary or exclusive custody in certain cases and only allow the other parent to visit. While the reasons behind this may appear to be unjust, they are frequently driven by job or career changes. Furthermore, the change in custody is required to provide a stable and supportive atmosphere in the new neighborhood, state, or nation. Moving is frequently essential, and bringing the child with the custodial parent or changing so that they are the custodial parent may help the family.

Domestic Violence

When one parent finds that the other parent is abusing a romantic partner or the children during custody arrangements or visits, the parent may ask the courts for a switch in custody. The custodial or shared custody parent may then be required to adjust these arrangements to decrease or eliminate visiting periods with the domestic abuser. Depending on the circumstances, if the father or mother injured the kid during visiting hours, the other parent could potentially bring criminal charges. It is feasible to notify the court of these specific factors by employing a lawyer to help state the case and offer evidence.

Proof of the Cause

An explanation must explain a significant change in the original conditions for an amendment to occur. In these cases, the judge will lookout for the best interests of the kid. So, if a parent moves and needs to alter joint custody to full custody, the court may refuse the modifying order if the kid will suffer without the other parent’s presence and visits. This is consequential when the noncustodial parent is the mother, and the adolescent requires assistance or care from the mother even if she cannot maintain the child at her home.

Parents’ Agreement

If the two parents cannot agree, the judge may refuse to alter the custody arrangement in the child’s best interests. Consent to these adjustments is usually needed since the order provides either shared custody or more visitation for one person. The custodial parent may need to amend this order if they face a major life choice or are leaving the nation for a short period. Others have major changes in their financial conditions that need the revision of a child custody agreement.

The Current Change Is Proof

Some parents can offer evidence of necessary adjustment through a change in homes. When the mother or father wants to relocate the kid to the other parent’s house, this can be done without the participation of the courts until the child custody arrangement needs to be changed. The youth will then be sent to the mother or father for a principal residence, and this individual will either take a step back or require visits. Some of these circumstances emerge from changes in the person’s life, such as a job change, a move, or a new relationship.

Contact Franks & Rechenberg. P.C. Attorneys at Law to help with your case.